March Monthly Member Highlight
Four Barrel CrossFit
Monthly Member Highlight
Learn a little more about
- What is your occupation?
I’m an analytical chemist.
- When you were in grade school, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Growing up I had always wanted to be a surgeon. Sometime in undergrad I realized that I didn’t want to work around sick, dying people and work 80 hours a week.
- If you were to perform in the circus, what would you do?
The circus has always kind of creeped me out, so I’d spend most of my time trying to escape. Something about seeing animals in cages forced to perform tricks with a bunch of grown adults with painted faces and wigs always disturbed me.
- What 3 things would you take with you on a deserted island, and why?
A boat and enough food/water to reach safety. If food/water counts as one I’ll go ahead and add a copy of the 1983 album “Sports” by Huey Lewis and the News.
- What is the best dessert you’ve ever had?
I really don’t like sweets much at all. Most people think that’s kind of weird. I love black licorice and there’s an Indian rice pudding called kheer that I could probably bathe in.
- Where is a place you haven’t traveled but would really like to visit?
I don’t like places that are touristy or cliché, so I’d probably go somewhere deep in the British countryside to get away from the ordinary. I’d like to go somewhere where Americans are rare and I can get an authentic feeling for the place.
- When did you start CrossFit?
I started in November of 2014.
- What is your favorite thing about CrossFit?
I like that it’s something different each day and that there’s a social element. It makes working out a lot more enjoyable and gives anyone extra incentive to go to the gym instead of looking at it like a chore.
- Why did you choose to join Four Barrel CrossFit?
Last March I moved across town and my old gym was too far for me to travel to routinely. I just picked FB because it happened to be just down the road.
- What do you enjoy most about Four Barrel CrossFit?
There’s a really good positive vibe to the place. Everyone is super friendly and genuinely supportive of one another. The coaches all actually care about each athlete’s progress and development.
- Do you have a favorite WOD or movement?
I don’t have one in particular. I like any of the long, hero WODS. It’s much more about mental toughness than it is physical ability with those.
- What are two of your biggest challenges and rewards in coming to the gym?
I love the constant state of self-improvement I’m in. I’m really motivated by pushing myself to get better and better and finally seeing my hard work in the form of better times, PRs, etc. I’m really hard on myself so whenever I have difficulty in mastering something I tend to get frustrated. That comes out the most in the gymnastic movements such as handstands.
- What is one of your goals for this year in CrossFit?
My biggest goal is to improve my strength. It’s probably the biggest piece of the puzzle to helping me become a more well-rounded athlete.
- Besides CrossFit, what else do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
I love running. Before I started CrossFit I spent about four years doing standup comedy and even though I’ve quit I still like writing comedy. I also read a lot and watch a lot of obscure documentaries.
- If you were handed free opera tickets would you go or sell them? Why?
Sell them or just give them away. Not that I don’t appreciate the high level of talent involved but I’d rather the tickets go to someone that would really enjoy the experience.
- If you were given 24 hours to live, what would you do?
In 24 hours I can get through A LOT of episodes of “Full House”.