Monthly Member Highlight
Four Barrel CrossFit East
Monthly Member Highlight
Meet Tara Clayton
- What is your occupation?
- Corporate Counsel (In-House Counsel for a Senior Living Provider)
- When you were in grade school, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- If you were to perform in the circus, what would you do?
- Horse rider
- What 3 things would you take with you on a deserted island, and why?
- A book
- A hammock
- A boat with a full tank and a captain (for when I’m ready to leave) (and, if we are getting into specifics, a fully stocked bar too) J
- What is the best dessert you’ve ever had?
- My Grandma’s homemade blackberry cobbler
- If you had a warning label, what would yours say?
- I don’t know about a warning label, but my boss calls me the “baby-faced assassin.”
- Where is a place you haven’t traveled but would really like to visit?
- Too many to name – Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Bora Bora . . . etc.
- When did you start CrossFit?
- I started CrossFit in 2007/2008 and stayed with it for a few years. But, I let life get busy and stopped going for a few years. I returned when Four Barrel East opened in November 2015.
- What is your favorite thing about CrossFit?
- So much – the Community, constant changing workouts, encouragement to push yourself, etc. Overall, CrossFit helps make me feel like a strong woman which is awesome.
- Why did you choose to join Four Barrel CrossFit?
- I knew Case and what a great gym he started in Indiana. I would have joined there, but it was just too far. I was ecstatic when I heard he was opening one in Louisville and couldn’t wait to join. When I met Kristi and Mallory at the park, I knew Four Barrel East was going to be a perfect fit for me.
- What do you enjoy most about Four Barrel CrossFit?
- So much – one is our Community and the camaraderie. The members here really are the best. I love how supportive everyone is of each other. They are genuinely proud and happy for you when you accomplish any goal. And, at the same time, it is a competitive environment – while we all encourage each other, each person is encouraged to do their best. But, the focus is YOUR best. That’s just a great place to be and it’s why I keep coming back. Another is our amazing coaches. The coaches are always looking out for the members and ensuring that we are getting a great, but safe, workout. It’s great to see how each coach helps each member to develop and improve in his/her own individual way.
- Do you have a favorite WOD or movement?
- Overhead Squats
- What are two of your biggest challenges and rewards in coming to the gym?
- My biggest challenge is running – I’ve never been a good runner and I’ve never enjoyed it. My second challenge is focusing on myself and my own progress. My biggest reward in coming to the gym is doing and completing those things that are challenging for me (and it’s not just running). The other great reward is all the great friends I’ve made at the gym!
- What is one of your goals for this year in CrossFit?
- My biggest goal is to continue to lose weight, but also continue to gain strength. But, I also want to be able to RX next year’s Open in at least 3 events.
- Besides CrossFit, what else do you enjoy doing in your spare time?
- Spare time?? J/k. In my spare time, I like to volunteer (I volunteer with local animal shelters, serve as Board Chair for a local free health clinic – we are always looking for healthcare providers and interpreters to volunteer J – and, help out with other local nonprofits). I also like to relax at night with a good book and cup of hot tea. But, my two favorite things to do is play with my two dogs and hang out with my two sweet nephews!
- If you were handed free opera tickets would you go or sell them? Why?
- I would absolutely go! I love going to plays, musicals, etc.
- If you were given 24 hours to live, what would you do?
- That’s a tough one. I’d spend it doing everything that made me happy, including hanging with my family and my dogs. I would eat and drink whatever I wanted, write down all my thoughts and feelings, and just do anything that made me smile.